Prevent Child Abuse North Dakota

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Legislative Neophyte

Ronya Hoblit, Minot State University Social Work Intern
 
It was not as if it was my first visit to the capitol, so there was a decent level of familiarity walking into the front door. Prior to 2015 and my internship with PCAND, I had accompanied students from Sitting Bull College to events in the rotunda.  
 
But on Monday, January 12, my perspective was transformed. As I waited to meet my boss for the first time, I watched the people milling about in the lobby. It was clear that this was more than a regular meet and greet. The civility was that of human beings who knew that not everyone was an ally. But beyond that it was evident, as well, that anyone could ultimately be a helpmate in supporting one form or another of legislation passed. Visible civility is what it shall be deemed.
   
One of the other perks was when I happened upon a former colleague, a friend, a classmate, or a familiar name and face, in person. Suddenly, in the sea of dark suits, neutral colored ties, and sweaters would be an island filled with the gentle breeze and sunlight of amity.
 
I was alternately star struck, lost, ecstatic to be there, exhibiting false bravado, and verklempt (in a good way) at how life's choices had set me in this place, at this time, to be able to be the proponent of prevention (not just fixing the effects) of child abuse. I will let Albert Schweitzer sum it up for this neophyte:
 
"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve."
 
 
Ronya Hoblit's first day as our social work intern began at the North Dakota capitol. She's an asset to our work already. Welcome, Ronya!

No comments:

Post a Comment